Wednesday, January 23, 2008

1976 Hostess - Tom Grieve

1976 Hostess #130 - Tom Grieve. Most all Rangers fans are pretty familiar with Tom. After being drafted #1 by the Senators he played all but two of his nine years in the bigs for the Rangers. After retiring he moved to the Rangers front office and served for several years as general manager and now as a broadcaster. While he did trade away Sammy Sosa and Wilson Alvarez he also traded for or signed Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez, and Bobby Valentine.

I find this card to be a neat glance back over 30 years ago. Tom looks ready to take on the world. Did he even suspect that his son would eventually also make it to the bigs? I doubt it. Also gotta love the setting. Apparently the picture was taken in Kansas City. Not sure if it is the same one or not but the Royals still have the crown just beyond the outfield fence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved those Hostess cards. I have a bunch of them stashed away. Grieve is great on the Rangers broadcasts.

Spiff said...

I have actually never heard him in the booth except when I have been listening and he visted the radio guys. My TV viewing of the team is limited since I live 500 miles away and don't have cable or satellite.

Those older odd-ball cards are great in my book. I have several more of the Hostess ones from different years. All Rangers of course except for the Matlacks I needed for that collection.