Monday, September 27, 2010

They're in!

So the Rangers clinched the A.L. West on Saturday while I was out of town. Not only was I out of town but I was out of pocket entirely and didn't get the welcome news until this morning. Congratulations to the players and staff involved with the season. This has been about the best season I can remember. Thanks guys.

Most of the stories I have read mention that it's been a long post-season drought for Texas and their fans, eleven years to be exact. This is true. It feels like a lot longer to me though.

In 1999 I wasn't really following baseball. I hadn't come back to the sport yet following the 1994 strike. That meant that I had missed the A.L. West championships of 1996, '98, and '99. No memory at all. Like they never happened. This feels to me like the first time the team has ever made it to the post-season. I know that's not true but that's what I keep thinking.

Makes me think of Pop, my grandfather. He would be on cloud nine about now if he was still with us. Talking about the possible matchups and if the Rangers would be better off in Tampa Bay or New York. Fretting about Josh Hamilton's ribs. Predicting that if the cards fall right the guys might be able to make it through the first round this year. Hopefully they will.

1 comment:

Play at the Plate said...

I'm definitely hoping for better results than the other times...it's nice to see the Rangers still relevant at this point in the season!