Tuesday, March 11, 2008

2008 Topps - Hank Blalock

Well, made it home safe and sound last night. On the way home (about a 500 mile trip) we stopped at Wal-Mart. I snagged a blaster box of 2008 Topps and opened it today after work.

Not much as far as pulls. Hank here on card number 53 was the only Ranger in the box. Since I needed him for my team set that was a plus. Pulling an Ivan Rodriguez also helped to rescue things a bit.

I am still a bit unsure about this offering from Topps. I am leaning towards being unimpressed but can't put my finger on why. Might just be the circus-looking team names or possibly the white borders. I am going to have to mull it over some more before I render a final verdict on the set.

4 comments:

--David said...

For what it's worth, I like the "circus balloons" on the 2008s. It's retro without being retro, if that makes any sense...

Anonymous said...

I hate the way the Topps logo loops down in the picture and this Blalock is a perfect example of how that takes away from the photo of Hank. It looks like the logo is sitting right on top of his head. The circles don't bother me that much except for the Diamondbacks.

Spiff said...

David - I think I am iffy on the team names. I know it looks a bit retro but I am still not sure I care for it.

Joey - Excellent point. The Topps logo is too intrusive.

Anonymous said...

I'm not crazy about the design, but it's better than Upper Deck in my opinion.