Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Second chance.

Still not a whole lot going on in baseball. Still a lot of free agents out there looking for jobs. Could make the last few weeks before Spring Training very interesting.

Recently I have been sending out cards to retired players and asking them to sign them. What better way to fill the off-season? I have not subscribed to any of the pay-for-addresses sites but have managed to acquire quite a few anyway.

That brings us to today's card, number 17 in the 1989 Sports Card Digest set. Looks like Ruben Sierra is having a pretty good time here. He should be. When this picture was taken he was at the height of his career.

Sierra is retired now and his is one of the former Rangers addresses I managed to pick up. I mulled over whether or not to send to him for awhile and then decided to give it a shot. Some of you may have read my previous post about my experience when asking Ruben for an autograph. I have heard though that he underwent an attitude adjustment since that time. With that in mind I decided to give him a second chance. I'll keep you posted as to how it comes out.

3 comments:

Dubbs said...

Good luck with that. It never ceases to amaze me how blowhardy these guys sometimes become after (and sometimes during) their playing days...if we didn't buy tickets and hats and cards and jerseys, they'd be out of a job. The least they can do is sign a piece of cardboard for a fan.

Spiff said...

I agree, that is what makes Josh Hamilton's attitude so refreshing.

Scott said...

He looks like a 14 year old with a moustache!