Wednesday, April 16, 2008

1993 Sports Cards Magazine - Dean Palmer

Today's card is number 48 in the Sports Card Magazine set from 1993. These cards came inside the magazine and were designed to be cut loose from the rest of the cards in the sheet. I can't remember exactly where I got this one from but I am pretty sure I didn't get it directly from the magazine. Each card had a write-up on the player featured. It also has some advice from "The Investment Advisor." On Palmer's card he says, "Palmer first appeared in many of the regular 1990 sets, making his rookie cards affordable and easy to find." More like an observation than advice.

It took me a long time to warm up to Dino. He replaced Steve Buechele at third base. Boo was one of my favorite Rangers at the time and so Palmer had some big shoes to fill. His bat was big enough but I was never satisfied with his glove work. To be fair, there weren't many third-sackers who could measure up to Steve's glove. I remember constantly complaining about Palmer's glove work. He did eventually get things smoothed out, it just took a little time.

Palmer fit with the Rangers lineup of the time that was loaded with power. He had enough pop in his bat to not seem out of place with Palmeiro, Gonzalez, Canseco, Franco, and Rodriguez. When Texas finally traded him to the Royals I was sad to see him go.

No comments: