Saturday, April 5, 2008

1990 Upper Deck - Harold Baines

Number 353 in the 1990 Upper Deck set is today's card, Harold Baines.

1990 was Upper Deck's second year and the brand was still new and exciting. The holograms on the backs of the cards were considered cutting edge. I personally liked the first few years of Upper Deck. The photos were nice, the colors good, and the designs simple. Easy to read with the team logo right up front.

Baines was/is a popular player, especially among White Sox fans. There is a somewhat large movement to get him into the Hall of Fame. Since he played for Texas I have heard that I am supposed to have an opinion on the matter. I don't.

Texas traded Scott Fletcher, Sammy Sosa, and Wilson Alvarez to the Sox for Fred Manrique and Harold. Baines lasted only part of two seasons with Texas. In spite of the "OF" designation he played only three games in the outfield. This compared to 141 as DH. In that time he hit 16 home runs and drove in 60 runs. Probably because of this he never made an impression on me. If a guy is only a DH I expect a better than .300 average, power, and lots of RBI. Not that Baines was a bad player, I have nothing against the guy. He just didn't stick around long enough or make a big enough splash to catch my attention.

6 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

Not only did he get his number retired by the White Sox in 1989!!, he's getting a statue at U.S. Cellular Field on July 20, 2008.

Spiff said...

Cool. Will you be making the ceremony?

Steve Gierman said...

I'm trying to persuade my fiancee into going to a mid-July day game. If I succeed, we will definitely be there!

Steve Gierman said...

I sweet-talked my fiancee into getting two tickets to the July 20th game! She just purchased them today.

Spiff said...

Sounds like a good deal. You are planning on writing up a full report on your blog aren't you?

Steve Gierman said...

Definitely! I'm hoping to get some decent pictures too.