Wednesday, November 12, 2008

1973 Kellogg's - Pete Broberg.

Nothing much happening so far today on the hot stove front. I thought I would take a gander in one of my Rangers binders and see what random card I could come across. I got this one.

This Pete Broberg card is from the 1973 Kellogg's set and is number 41 in the 54 card set. Excepting my Matlack card from the same year this is the earliest Kellogg's card I have and I believe is from the first year that the cereal company offered cards. This and the Matlack are also the only Kellogg's cards I have that are not 3D.

The card has small bumps on the sides and bottom that seem to indicate that it was torn from a sheet. It is difficult to tell if an old Senators picture of Pete was used - his cap almost looks airbrushed.

Flipping the card over we can see two lines of stats, all that Pete had at the time. We also find that Broberg's middle name is Sven and that this is an "officially authorized card." Who officially authorized it I am not sure but there are logos for the Rangers, MLB, and the Players Association on the back as well. About half of the back is filled with information on Pete that talks about his Dartmouth days and compares him to Walter Johnson. It also talks about the jump he made from college ball to the Majors and refers to the Rangers as "his Texas employers."

I enjoy reading old card backs and this one is particularly entertaining. Whoever wrote this should be brought out of retirement to write card backs now.

3 comments:

night owl said...

Kellogg's first issued cards in 1970. Thanks for featuring this card! I believe it's the first time I've ever seen a '73 Kellogg's card in living color (I lead a sheltered life).

Johngy said...

This brought back great memories. Broberg also pitched for the Cubs (although that wasn't a great memory).

Spiff said...

Thanks for the comments. Glad you both enjoyed the post. My apologies for the inaccurate information concerning the start of Kellogg's card issuing venture. Thanks to Night Owl for the correct year.