Friday, August 13, 2010

Heritage.

Ok, last day of class. Tomorrow I will be getting back into the swing of things again. Thanks for your patience the past week.

Decided to post this card of Julio Borbon today in order to talk a little about the 2010 Topps Heritage set. Julio appears here on card number 348 to give an example of what the set looks like.

I have been a fan of Topps Heritage since they first came out. Not a set collecting level fan but I like them nonetheless. Vintage cards or cards with a vintage design really catch my eye. I prefer them to chrome plated foil embossed glossy pieces any day. My only gripe is the short prints. That gets old fast.

Most years the Topps Heritage sets seem to be pretty popular with most other collectors as well. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. I have read several reviews panning the set by people who know much more about cards than I do. I have also read where several Topps Heritage set collectors have stated that they intend to take this year off. The big bone of contention seems to be that the set is boring. Of course it is, it's modeled on the 1961 set which was pretty boring in its own right.

Boring or otherwise I still like the set. Actually I've been looking forward to it coming out for awhile. Perhaps I like it because it's boring. It reminds me of the original set, 1961 in all its boring glory. The 1961 set had something in it though that no set before had in it. Texas Rangers. Yep. Of course they were Rangers in the guise of Washington Senators but they were there. In the 1960 Topps set (awesome design) the Senators were Twins in the making. 1961 was the birth of the new franchise, the one that ended up making the trek to Arlington, Texas. That's why I like the 2010 Topps Heritage set. It takes me back as far as a Rangers collector can go, to the beginning of the prelude. Almost like remembering one's heritage.

No comments: