Thursday, May 8, 2008

Success!

Today's card is Hank Blalock on a 2004 Upper Deck Power Up #15.

When I was younger I used to derive great excitement out of send off cards to big league players (mostly Rangers) and asking for them to sign them. Not all of them came back but enough did to keep me going.

Recently I decided to dust off the old art and try again for some autographs through the mail. Off went three requests. I reasoned that I would use the three as a test to see what the prevailing atmosphere is towards autograph requests.

This last week I received back the card in this post. Hank came through!

3 comments:

NTXCoog said...

I used to send out cards too. I always wondered whether the autographs I received were really signed by the player. Since several of my cards went to non-stars who went to the same college I did, I figured those might be real. The rest I wouldn't bet on.

I did get one personalized to me. I actually thought that was pretty cool since it was for my personal collection only & I have no plans to sell them.

The worst I got was a stamped autograph on a card. I didn't know what to do with that.

--David said...

Cool autograph! Nice work!

Spiff said...

Thanks for the comments guys. Getting these back always made my day when I was younger.