Friday, February 29, 2008

1988 Topps Big - Pete Incaviglia

Well, I made it back home safe. Today's card of the day is a 1988 Topps Big Pete Incaviglia. Topps put these cards out for a few years before finally realizing that the bigger size was resulting in most of them ending up dinged or bent because they are too long for regular card holders.

I do like the design of this card though. The close-up super-imposed over the action shot gives one the best of both worlds as far as pictures. Pete appears in the background shot to be preparing to launch a zinger against the Expos in Spring Training. In the days before Interleague play that would be the only time the two teams would see each other short of the post-season. Also, another nice feature of this card is the defensive stats. Don't see those too often on the back of cards.

Inky played five seasons for Texas after moving straight from college ball to the bigs. He tore up the league his rookie season in 1986 with the then impressive number of 30 home runs. I remember considering him to be a giant when I first started seriously following Texas in 1987. Inky had his own fan section in Arlington Stadium. His defense was minimal and he never reached 90 RBI in a season while with Texas but he was Juan Gonzalez before there was a Juan Gonzalez.

6 comments:

Bay Rat North West said...

I really like the cards. The use of both pics is great and the color really pops out at you. I was lucky enough to win a set on ebay yesterday, in a binder with sheets that fit the cards, for two dollars and four for shipping. Looking forward to gazing at them. Let me know if you need to know what rangers are in the set.

Spiff said...

Thanks for the offer. I actually have a checklist from all three sets letting me know which Rangers I still need. Any chance you are breaking the set and might trade the Rangers or a sheet or two?

Bay Rat North West said...

I will look into trading the Rangers. Let me know who you need. Always willing to help out a fellow addict.

Spiff said...

Thanks. I appreciate it. Not sure how much Reds stuff I have but I will dig around and see. Just realized that I am not sure which set you won. Here is what I need from the sets:
1988 Topps Big
104 Steve Buechele
163 Jerry Browne

1989 Topps Big
12 Geno Petralli
156 Steve Buechele
257 Rafael Palmeiro
270 Buddy Bell
288 Julio Franco
309 Jeff Russell

1990 Topps Big
15 Jeff Russell
127 Rafael Palmeiro
242 Charlie Hough
261 Kevin Brown
311 Gary Pettis

Bay Rat North West said...

The
104 Steve Buechele
163 Jerry Browne
are yours when I get them in

Spiff said...

Thanks! That will finish off my set. I am sure I can dig something up for you in return. Just let me know when you need my address.