Monday, February 25, 2008

1989 South Atlantic League All-Stars - Ivan Rodriguez

Ivan on Monday again, number 26 in this set. Here we come to the next card in my first Pudge binder. I apologize for the scan, I had to try it three times to get it this well.

This card was, for me, hard to find. I finally had to buy the team set and break it up. Not too bad really since there were some other Rangers minor leaguers in there as well. Besides that, as a Jon Matlack fan I am used to breaking up team sets to get the players I want.

Not a bad looking card. Kind of looks like pictures you see of high-school players in yearbooks. The card is slightly smaller than your average trading card and is put out by the "Grand Slam Card Company." This is the first minor league card of Ivan's that we find actual stats on the back of. We see that halfway through the 1989 season (July 8 to be exact according to the note) he had a .205 average and 27 RBI. He also had four homeruns and two stolen bases. No defensive stats. We are also reminded again that 1989 was his first professional season.

1 comment:

Steve Gierman said...

I've always been a big fan of Ivan. I still remember watching his MLB debut against his idol Carlton Fisk in Chicago. They both went 1 for 4 that day.