Friday, February 8, 2008

2005 Topps Heritage - R.A. Dickey.

R.A. Dickey is number 253 in this great looking set. It seems that both Topps and Upper Deck do a pretty good job on the retro looking sets. I have always liked the way these sets look. The downside to collecting the Rangers is that they have no cards before 1972. I pick up Senators from 1961 - 1971 as well but have no place in my team collection for cards before 1961. Sad since I really prefer a lot of the older designs to the more modern ones. The Topps Heritage, Bowman Heritage, and some of the retro Upper Deck sets give me a chance to get some of my Rangers on these great looking cards.

Dickey seems to be a good choice for a card of this type. Look at those socks. That's the way they are supposed to be worn and I am glad to see some players going back to the classic look. Ian Kinsler is another Ranger that comes to mind who wears his socks high like that. When R.A. signed with Texas they did a physical on him and found he was missing a ligament in his throwing arm. Apparently he was born without it. Not one to miss an opportunity Dickey then asked for a bonus on his contract. Why? Well, with one less ligament he stood a smaller chance of injury.

No comments: