Friday, August 1, 2008

Where's the line?

Today's card is number 325 in the 2003 Upper Deck set, Alex Rodriguez. Rodriguez is also on the cover of my most recent Beckett.

One of the headlines on the cover with Alex promises an article on how the headlines impact your A-Rod collection. I haven't read the article yet but the subject is an interesting one.

For any player collectors out there, do a player's off-field actions impact your decisions to collect them? Why? Why not? For some people it does not, for others it is make or break.

As for me, off-field actions do impact my player collections. If I think enough of a particular player to go out of my way to snag their cards I expect a certain level of behavior out of them. I understand that players are people and people are not perfect. I am willing to forgive some bad decisions or blow-ups. Where I draw the line is when players consistently engage in a course of behavior that I believe is wrong and I wouldn't want my children embarking on.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

2 comments:

Dinged Corners said...

Absolutely, if the player turns out to be decadent or mean or something, that affects our interest. The extreme positive side of this is if we meet or get a letter or card from a player and they are exceptionally pleasant, we're fans for life.

Spiff said...

I am the same way. I can become interested in a player due to things that have nothing to do with his playing performance.