Friday, February 5, 2010

Almost time.

John Wetteland's 1998 Score card, number 112, always makes me think about Spring. In reality I have no idea where or when this picture was taken but I prefer to believe that it was during Spring Training. Perhaps John is helping to gather up baseballs for batting practice after his morning throwing session. The sunflower seed bucket is just right for such a chore.

The Rangers loaded up their gear on a truck this morning and sent it off to Arizona. Pitchers and catchers report on February 18th. The first workout is February 19th. I can hardly wait.

My anticipation has little to do with the Rangers' chances of contending (although I think they can this year). I miss baseball and summertime. I miss checking up on the scores and stories. I miss walking by the little league park and hearing the ball ping off the bat. I miss walking into the Big League park and hearing the crack of the bat and the rumble of the crowd. I miss wearing my Rangers jerseys and feeling the heat on my arms. I miss playing catch with Spiff Jr. and working on his hitting. I miss the t-ball games and not caring about the score. I miss listening to the Rangers games and hanging on the score.

It's been a long winter in more ways than one. Time for Spring. I could use some baseball.

No comments: