Monday, February 23, 2009

Book 1, Page 30.

Another Monday and still no Pudge signing. Looks like Ivan now considers the options down to the Astros, Marlins, or Mets. In a recent interview he did mention the possibility that no team may sign him at this point. At 37 years of age he can't sit out a season and still come back. Could be the end of the line.

Well, it's not the end of the line in my Pudge binder so let's see what today's page has to offer.
1995 Topps Embossed #54
1995 Topps Embossed Golden Idols #54
1995 Topps Traded #163T
1995 UC3 #82
Empty pocket
1995 Ultra #113
1995 Ultra All-Stars #18
Empty pocket
1995 Ultra Award Winners #1

The empty pockets are waiting on the 1995 UC3 Artist's Proofs #82 and the 1995 Ultra All-Stars Gold Medallion #18. Of the cards on this page I probably like the Topps Embossed one the best. Reminds me of those Action Packed cards from the early 1990's that featured retired players and Hall of Famers. Great set.

I must admit that I came across a disturbing bit this morning while trying to find out what is going on with Pudge. Apparently during an interview, a reporter asked him if his name is on the list of those testing positive for PEDs in 2003. He replied, "Only God knows." What kind of reply is that? A disappointing one to be sure. If you didn't use just say so. If you did then admit it so those of us who follow your career can decide if we want to continue to be part of your fan base.

On to happier topics. I was pleasantly surprised that three folks took the time and opportunity to answer Friday's trivia questions. I think that, if the next time garners as much participation, I will try and offer a prize. Here are the answers:
1. True. Easy warmup question.
2. Branch Rickey. I never would have got this one and was amazed that two of the three guys posting answers got it correct.
3. Lou Boudreau. Another one I would have missed by a mile. Night Owl wowed me by getting this one correct.
4. Vic Willis. Not a chance I would have even come close. Not sure I could have even ventured a guess. I had company though as this was the question everyone missed.
5. Grand Slam. I think Classic included this one to try and patch up the damaged egos of such as I.

Amazingly, Night Owl missed but one question. All three contestants scored better that I could have. Thanks for playing guys. I'll try and come up with a prize for next time.

No comments: